The husband’s Secret – Liane Moriarty

This is one of the two Liane Moriarty books I purchased recently at Barnes and Noble. I had never read her stories before, so I was taking a chance buying two.

from lianemoriarty.com
from lianemoriarty.com

It certainly did not disappoint, but I have to say, it took several chapters into the story before I really felt a vested interest in the characters and what was going on with them. I think the thing I disliked the most is that each chapter focused on one family, of many that were intertwined. And it rotated as such. Chapter 1 was about family A, chapter 2 was family B, and chapter 3 was family C. Then chapter 4 went back to family A, and the entire story was plotted out in this manner.

Cecilia discovers a letter her husband wrote with instructions to only be opened upon his death. It took her a few chapters to get there, but she did indeed read it. What that letter contained was something that affected more than just her husband and herself. Cecilia does not know if she can bear the weight of carrying this secret.

Tess and Will have the marriage everyone admires, and she is comfortable in her life. Until she gets told something that damages the life she thought she had.

Rachel cannot let go of the fact that whomever murdered her 17 year-old daughter, so many years ago, has never been caught. She finds what she feels is evidence enough to convict the person she has suspected for the past 28 years.

As the characters deal with their own families and issues, the story comes together in a way you do not expect, and you will not want to put this one down until you have it finished!

Have you read this already?

What did you think of it?

You can read more about Liane and her stories here: Liane Moriarty Website

6 thoughts on “The husband’s Secret – Liane Moriarty

1. malireads October 19, 2015 / 7:29 pm

I read it and thought it was fun. I had some plot issues towards the end but overall had a great time reading it

• Angela October 20, 2015 / 8:15 am

Thanks for sharing Mali!

2. thewriteedge October 19, 2015 / 9:50 pm

I read it last year and didn’t like it much. I felt like the book was too drawn out and melodramatic in parts, partially because of how long it took to find out what was in the letter and also about the challenges the other families have. I also wasn’t crazy about Liane Moriarty’s writing style.

• Angela October 20, 2015 / 8:16 am

The writing style was tough for me as well. And let’s be honest; we all would have ripped that letter open as soon as we found it! Or, maybe that is just me ??? LOL

• thewriteedge October 20, 2015 / 8:27 am

Definitely! Especially since she’s supposed to wait until the husband’s dead, and he’s very much not. In some ways it’s a little weird that he kept it. But without that there would have been no book, right?

• Angela October 20, 2015 / 8:40 am

Agreed 🙂 Like he would not have tore that house from shingles to foundation looking for that type of letter!