Nancy Drew – The Series

Can you believe that I had never read a single Nancy Drew book while I was growing up? The same goes for The Hardy Boys. I’m not sure why, as I saw them every time I was in the library. Which was a lot.
What I was reading included The Boxcar Children, Encyclopedia Brown, and Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators. Throw in some Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume, and you get an understanding of how I spent my younger years.

Judy Blume cover imageEncyclopedia Brown Cover ImageBeverly Cleary Cover ImageThe Boxcar Children Cover Image
I picked up 4 Nancy Drew books at my library this weekend; books 1, 3, 5, and 6. Of course books 2 and 4 were nowhere to be found. I’ll get those later if I come across them. I enjoyed reading these books. They are quick, and easy to read. I love the old-school storytelling and the nostalgia of the stories. No cell phones, internet, social networking, etc etc. All the things we cram our lives with now to make ourselves busier than we should ever be, are nowhere to be found here. I find a sense of comfort in these stories as well as the others I read while I was growing up.
My very favorite book growing up? This one~

Adventures of the Black Hand Gang Cover Image

What was your favorite series growing up, and like me, do you go back on occasion and read them again?

24 thoughts on “Nancy Drew – The Series

1. Sharon E. Cathcart August 9, 2017 / 9:18 am

I preferred the Hardy Boys to Nancy Drew, although I read both. My favorites were the Marguerite Henry books about famous horses through history, like “King of the Wind” (the Godolphin Arabian, one of three foundation sires for the modern-day Thoroughbreds) and “Born to Trot” (Rosalind and Hambletonian). I also loved the Beverly Cleary books, in no small part because I grew up in the Portland, Oregon, area and recognized the street names. Great post!

• smcwriter August 9, 2017 / 9:14 pm

King of the Wind is my favorite Marguerite Henry book! Might be time for a reread.

I also liked Beverly Cleary but never read the Ramona books growing up, just her standalone books. And of course Encyclopedia Brown, Boxcar Children and Babysitter’s Club.

2. Angela August 9, 2017 / 9:49 am

Thanks Sharon! I own several books by Richard Baldwin, who writes about mysteries in various parts of Michigan, using real restaurants I frequent, and streets just minutes from mine. And the stories are great to boot!

3. Jessica (Diverting Journeys) August 9, 2017 / 9:49 am

I’ve read a couple Nancy Drews, but I was never a big fan. I did love Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary though! I also loved Laura Ingalls Wilder, Roald Dahl, Barbara Park, Lois Lowry (particularly the Anastasia Krupnik books), and John Bellairs, and I definitely still own and re-read some of their books from time to time, but I also spent a lot of time as a kid reading those cheap Apple paperbacks about ghosts, vampires, and anything else vaguely supernatural, and somehow I doubt those will hold up as well as Blume or Dahl if I was to read them as an adult. I’ve never heard of The Adventures of the Black Hand Gang, but I’m definitely intrigued!

• Angela August 9, 2017 / 9:52 am

The Black Hand Gang book has drawings every couple of pages where you have to study the picture to find the answer to the mystery. I have been looking for this book to purchase, but am looking for the best copy for a good price. It was a fun book, and you could pick it up a couple years later and not remember what the answers in the pictures were!

4. Latanya August 9, 2017 / 10:38 am

Nancy Drew was my favorite series as a child. I couldn’t get into The Hardy Boys. Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume were mainstays I enjoyed.

5. veronicar617 August 9, 2017 / 11:39 am

I loved Encyclopedia Brown and the Boxcar Children! I also read those pick your own adventure books – they were always fun to read – I don’t know if that really counts as a series though.

• veronicar617 August 9, 2017 / 4:17 pm

I just remembered I was also an avid Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley High reader!

• Angela August 9, 2017 / 5:33 pm

I read all of the Sweet Valley High stories! Still have some paperbacks in my library ❣️

6. itsonlywordsand August 9, 2017 / 11:53 am

I was an avid reader of both Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys series as a child. Oddly, I found both slightly disappointing rereading them as an adult.

• Angela August 9, 2017 / 11:56 am

I wonder if I would feel the same had I read them as a child??? Interesting!

7. RobbyeFaye August 9, 2017 / 12:43 pm

I never cared too much for Nancy Drew. I read the Trixie Belden books. The stories always made me want a Palomino pony and a secret club!!

The Boxcar Children was another favorite, and my kids loved them, too. I also liked The Bobbsey Twins.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

• Angela August 9, 2017 / 1:06 pm

Thanks for stopping by and sharing!

• RobbyeFaye August 9, 2017 / 1:23 pm

You are welcome! Thanks for visiting my blog, too! I enjoyed reading several of your posts, interesting and insightful thoughts on reviews and self-publishing (oh, the horror stories I could tell you about some!)I’m looking forward to reading more as I have time!

8. Amanda, Smitten For Fiction August 9, 2017 / 9:27 pm

Oh wow, taking me back a good 25 years. I enjoyed Judy Blume, Beverley Cleary, Babysitters Club. I didn’t read Nancy Drew (that I can remember). I got into Stephen King and John Saul at a really young age. (maybe too young) I think I should go back and read some books from my childhood. A novel idea :p

9. nikisthoughts August 10, 2017 / 3:46 pm

I loved so many different books growing up, including Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, and also another series I picked up from the school library was the Madie mystery series by Lois Leppard.

• Angela August 10, 2017 / 4:02 pm

I have never heard of those! Thanks for sharing!

10. Maria Logan Montgomery August 11, 2017 / 11:05 am

I loved both Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys. I read every one of their book that were published up until the time I outgrew them. Glad you found them. Thanks for a walk down memory lane.

• Angela August 11, 2017 / 11:17 am

Thanks for sharing Maria! I will be reading the Hardy Boys next!

11. Miss Blabbaholic August 15, 2017 / 8:30 am

I loved Nancy Drew, she’s started me on my love for crime and mystery books. I would definitely reread her. And Sweet Valley. Lol

• Angela August 15, 2017 / 9:38 am

I read all of the Sweet Valley High stories as well!