The Innocence of Father Brown – G.K. Chesterton

I likely would have never found these charming stories if not for my habit of binge watching British television shows on NetFlix (Bless you NetFlix!).

The Innocence of Father Brown cover image

After going through the entire series of Midsomer Murders, Rosemary and Thyme, and Keeping Up With Appearances, it was time to give Father Brown a try.

A quirky Catholic Priest with a close circle of a couple of friends to help him with his sleuthing, or as the local DCI sees it, his butting in, Father Brown solves the crime while granting forgiveness to those who desperately need it.

Anyhow, back to the book.

This book is filled with several short stories. They are of course written in the fashion of the late 1800’s/early 1900’s (when G.K. Chesterton lived), so it can be a bit jarring for some when you have been reading current novels. I personally love reading older books like this, and after you get through the first couple of pages, you have a firm feel of the style of writing and it becomes much easier to read.

Mostly murderous, these stories are a quick read and most have you guessing right until the very end. I was a bit surprised and the graphic details for a book from this time, but it is certainly nothing I haven’t seen before. This would be a great book to keep on your nightstand!

Have you read (or seen) Father Brown before?

10 thoughts on “The Innocence of Father Brown – G.K. Chesterton

1. tylerus November 15, 2017 / 9:00 am

I have indeed – but it’s been so-ooo long. Thank you for reminding me to go back and revisit . . . and partake of these short stories.

• Angela November 15, 2017 / 9:02 am

Yay! 🙂 Thank you for stopping by and sharing!

2. Becky F. November 15, 2017 / 1:57 pm

My husband and I are in the middle of season 3 of Father Brown on Netflix. We really enjoy it.

• Angela November 15, 2017 / 2:36 pm

I may have rewatched it here and there as well 😂

3. Cozynookbks November 15, 2017 / 10:25 pm

No, I actually have never read or seen Father Brown.

• Angela November 16, 2017 / 6:03 am

I highly recommend it 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!

4. lindamowles November 17, 2017 / 9:08 am

I had to chuckle as I read this post, Angela. My husband and I have watched the entire Father Brown series on Netflix as well as Midsomer Murders, Foley’s War, Dr. Blake Mysteries , Miss Fischer’s Mysteries, and I have watched many of the Rosemary and Thyme episodes. There is also an earlier version of Father Brown on Netflix that we tried. The story lines are the same, but it is exceedingly dark and we didn’t care for it nearly as much as the more recent vintage of the same character. I don’t have the book but I will be making a purchase of it shortly! 🙂 Thanks for the post. Also, thanks for your visit to The Ruminant Scribe post “Similar but Different”. I appreciate your stopping by. Have a blessed day today, and enjoy the British mysteries!

• Angela November 17, 2017 / 9:15 am

The Vicar of Dibley isn’t a mystery series, but it is hilarious 🙂 I love Dawn French! I don’t think it is still on NetFlix in my area though…. 😦

5. cathleentownsend November 20, 2017 / 7:50 am

I LOVE Father Brown. I don’t have Netflicks and can’t get it–in the country we’re all stuck with satellite internet–but I’ve loved the books for years. Every so often I reread them all. 🙂

• Angela November 20, 2017 / 9:00 am

Thanks for sharing Cathleen! They are removing a lot of British tv shows off NetFlix due to the new Acorn service which is like NetFlix, but strictly British shows and movies.