Tippi: A Memoir – Tippi Hedren

I found this book at my library while I was actually looking for a biography on Alfred Hitchcock. All of which were out.

Tippi A Memoir
Photo courtesy of Harper Collins Publishing

So I have to say that while I adore Tippi and her work in the film industry, I was not impressed with her biography. I was very interested in all the issues she went through with Hitchcock, as it was a well-known Hollywood “secret” that he was completely obsessed with her. While detailing some of the things she experienced while working on his films, she did spare us very descriptive details and all the specifics. I must say, as he is not able to defend himself, and may have chosen not to, that we do only have her side of the story.

The remainder of the book was about how she ended up maintaining a sanctuary for wild animals on her 40 acre homestead. This too was interesting to me, as I love all animals, big and small. Except bats. But that’s another story…

I found the book as a whole very boring. It just dragged on for me, and while I am glad to have learned many new things about Tippi, I would not re-read this book.

Have you read a biography about someone you like, only to not like the book? I would love to hear about it!

11 thoughts on “Tippi: A Memoir – Tippi Hedren

1. Arabella McIntyre-Brown January 11, 2018 / 8:46 am

The more one knows about a subject, the more a biography can disappoint… I have the ancillary problem – I must write a biography of someone I know very well, but in other ways know very little. She was a multi-faceted person and many of her friends and colleagues saw only some of her sides. To make the book fascinating and a tribute to her without being a hagiography is going to be very tricky. the usual linear format won’t really work – I want to find out why she did what she did – what in her background made her so formidable while being so modest and shy. What would have made the Tippi biography a better read for you – was it the writing style, the presentation of facts, what was omitted…?

• Angela January 11, 2018 / 8:50 am

You definitely have a challenge ahead! It wasn’t the omitted details about the issues with Hitchcock, as that wasn’t why I picked the book up. I think it was really just the writing. It was just dry, boring, nothing humorous that she may have experienced. I’m sure she had many fun, wonderful experiences, we just didn’t hear about them. It felt like a really long lecture series to me.

2. Judi Moore January 11, 2018 / 11:16 am

Moi aussi: Ben Nicholson. As dry as a water biscuit. Which you would not expect from something entitled “Ben Nicholson: The Vicious Circles of His Life & Art”, but it was so. Even the way the pages were laid out was he-avy.

• Angela January 11, 2018 / 11:18 am

Now just by looking at the cover I would have thought this would be a very interesting read! Thanks for sharing!

3. michellechantler January 11, 2018 / 11:45 am

Actually Angela I have. ….and found it really boaring as well as disappointed. The memoir/biography was about a public figure who decided to pass away at an early age. Considering that they were in the music Industry, it should have been almost impossible to get uninteresting.
    Well I can honestly say, I read through the first chapter and then put it in the re cycle box. Lol.

• Angela January 11, 2018 / 11:55 am

I hate not being able to finish a book, but I am getting better at it 🙂 I am tired of wasting precious reading time on something that doesn’t hold my interest. Thanks for sharing!

4. Cozynookbks January 11, 2018 / 11:25 pm

Actually, of those I’ve liked I haven’t been disappointed with their biographies.

A few years back, just before the debacle, I read Paula Deen’s book, It Ain’t All About the Cookin,’” and I thought it was EXCELLENT!! I learned so many things about struggles she had and how she got to be famous with her cooking. I still remember parts from it to this day.

5. andycoughlan2014 January 16, 2018 / 9:08 am

I once read a biography of a poet, but the author had been refused permission to use any of the poems. It made the analysis somewhat hard to follow.

• Angela January 16, 2018 / 9:20 am

Yeah, I think I would have to not publish a book on a poet that would not let me use any of their poems….. Thanks for sharing!