Question for my Book Friends-Update With Drawing

So these wood book boxes showed up today, and I have a couple of options. Varnish, book cover pasted or painted on top and end, hand paint a book cover, or just add decals/stamping/artwork, etc.

These will be going in my store, they are about 7 inches long and I was really impressed with the quality of these.

What would you need this to be finished like in order to consider buying it? I have no idea on a price until supplies and labor are put in.

Looking forward to hearing your great ideas!

Update- for classic book covers, is a cover image and my drawing after. A quick drawing, it would be more precise when painted with straight lines where needed. Thoughts?

18 thoughts on “Question for my Book Friends-Update With Drawing

1. rgemom September 2, 2016 / 4:27 pm

I vote for book cover pasted or painted, or hand painted book cover. Awesome!

2. Becky F. September 2, 2016 / 5:30 pm

If it looked like a classic book that would appeal to me.

• Angela September 2, 2016 / 5:34 pm

Thanks Becky! I am drawing the cover of To Kill a Mockingbird on paper right now and will post it when I’m finished!

• J.R.Bee September 2, 2016 / 6:16 pm

You could also do the gold leaf page effect, that can be quite cool.

• Angela September 2, 2016 / 6:18 pm

I will have to look up the process on that as I have not done that before. I just posted a cover image and my quick drawing😀

• J.R.Bee September 2, 2016 / 6:31 pm

Very nice! It’s going to look beautiful. There are plenty of channels to show you how to work gold leaf, it looks easy, but it does take a bit of practice to get it right.

• Angela September 2, 2016 / 6:53 pm

Thanks JR! I know what I’ll be watching on YouTube tonight 😀

• J.R.Bee September 2, 2016 / 6:55 pm

Assuming you don’t get side tracked, so easy to do when researching a thing 😀

3. blackmutts September 2, 2016 / 7:29 pm

Goregous boxes to start with… I can’t wait to see what you end up with!

• Angela September 2, 2016 / 7:31 pm

Thanks! I think I’m going to start to paint the To Kill a Mockingbird one tomorrow. I was very happy with the quality of these and will definitely be getting more. I only ordered 4 as it is a new product I am working with.

4. thewriteedge September 3, 2016 / 9:23 am

I love the idea of these boxes. However, I think you have to consider how someone might possibly use them. If they have it sitting upright on a shelf or a dresser somewhere, then painting a classic cover would be great. But if someone has it sitting flat on a desk (like in the first photo you posted at the very top,) they may not really see the cover you worked so hard to create. Or what if they put it on a shelf in the middle of other books? Then all you’d see is the spine.

By the way, LOVE the sketch you did of the Mockingbird cover! You’re an amazing artist!

Here’s another thought: what about offering writers the possibility of them getting their own book covers made? They could then turn around and offer them as part of a giveaway or something in their marketing/promotions.

• Angela September 3, 2016 / 11:56 am

Those are great points! I will do some that are just the spine, because they are really nice storage boxes and can be used several different ways.

Doing new authors covers is another great idea, and I will have to reach out and see if any are interested.

Thank you for the compliment on the drawing😀 If I am looking at something, I can draw it…except for faces…so those covers are out lol

• thewriteedge September 3, 2016 / 12:02 pm

You definitely have talent, and I envy it. I think you have a fantastic plan here!

• Angela September 3, 2016 / 1:09 pm

Thanks so much! I’m relaxing today and enjoying what is probably Michigan’s last hot weekend, and then getting busy. Homeschooling a 10th grader starting Tuesday, also have a 7th grader in public school, work 50 hrs a week, and another MBA class starting for me on the 22nd…😕

5. adnarim10 September 6, 2016 / 10:49 am

For just the spine ones, you could make them look like old leather bound or uncovered books. For some reason I always imagine book boxes looking like that. 😀

• Angela September 6, 2016 / 10:52 am

Thanks! I love the look of leather bound books. I will have to give this a try!

• Angela September 6, 2016 / 12:47 pm